Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Week 14 - April - the monster mileage month begins

April is traditionally the month where Comrades runners aspire to accumulate their biggest mileage. Bruce Fordyce, would like to get between 740 and 760km under his belt in April, typically running 24km a day split between an evening and morning session. There is some debate as to how far is necessary to run in training, and whether running medium long runs on both Saturday and Sunday are better than one long run. I will try both. I feel I need the extra long runs for mental preparation, but I will plan to alternate these with weekend doubles.

Monday 29 March: No run - recovery from Sunday's race
Tuesday 30 March: Slow, easy run, over to High Park with one Morningside Hill circuit. 14.8km
Wednesday 31 March: Longboat club run along Lakeshore on Martin Goodman trail with 2 x 5km at 3 hour marathon pace (4:15/km). Easy before and after to make a total of 18.7m.
Thursday 1 April: Easy run on part of Boston Special up to South Kingsway and back past Old Mill 17km
Friday 2 April: Easy run to Old Mill and back down to waterfront and home. 22.4km
Saturday 3 April: Short Easy run to High Park. 8km
Sunday 4 April: Ran on the country gravel roads around Uxbridge. I had planned to run about 42km but was short by 6km. I wasn't happy about the shorter distance, but I did enjoy soaking my tired legs in the ice cold pond. 36km.

Week Total: 117km
Year to Date Total: 1,375km

Well, my first attempt at an "Ultra" was a bust. I guess there's always next weekend....

No comments:

Post a Comment