Friday, April 23, 2010

Week 15 - My first Ultra

This week marked yet another increase in mileage, my longest run - ever, and a commitment to strength training. Here's how it went:


Monday 5 April: Easy run to Trinity Bellwoods. Stopped at the YMCA to check out weight machines. Did a quick workout for quads and hamstrings. 9km
Tuesday 6 April: Easy run around West side of High Park, down Ellis and back home. Felt good, especially on the way back. Relaxed and easy running. 11.5km
Wednesday 7 April: AM Core and Leg Strength workout. PM Longboat club run along Lakeshore, felt cold coming on so ran with one of the slower groups. 18.1km
Thursday 8 April: No run, cold worse and a ton of work.
Friday 9 April: AM leg strength workout at YMCA after chiropractor visit. PM good run on first part of Boston Special up to Old Mill and back across the hills. Felt good. Hills were not a problem. 17.1km
Saturday 10 April: Ran with Longboat runners on High Park trails for about 10km and added more miles before and after for a total of 21km.
Sunday 11th April: This was the run I decided was going to be my first "ultra" even if it was only in training. I ran with Longboat runners from the west end YMCA for about 30 km, and added before and after to get up to 46.7km. It wasn't very fast though. Passed the marathon distance in 3:58, just breaking 4 hours.

Week Total: 123.4 km
Year to Date Total: 1,498 km


It felt very good to get the first run over 42km under my belt, if only for my confidence. Time is running out and I need to get those long runs in. Everything I have read about the Comrades down route says that your quads and hamstrings take a pounding. So, as you see, I am now sufficiently scared, to take to the gym to work on making those muscles as strong as I can with the time remaining. So far, so good.

1 comment: